How To Improve Your Computer Skills in Nigeria
Considering this growing market trend, if you wish to secure a profitable job, then this article is for you. Technology has taken the world by surprise right under it’s nose. People, businesses, and big companies are reliant on technology for various purposes these days. The growth is rapidly increasing and as a result of this shift in context, the demand for individuals with impressive knowledge, talent, passion and experience with a computer are in huge demand both in Nigeria and Africa at large.
In this article we will look and dig deeper into the technology world to see and discuss the best computer skills an individual should invest in and what resources to get assistance from in-order to get ahead in your career in Nigeria.
When you find yourself in a conversation about computer skills, you will realize that there are certain in-demand skills that if acquired will fill your mail box with unlimited job opportunities besides you having either english, hausa, igbo or yoruba or any other language for that matter.
TOP 6 IN-DEMAND COMPUTER SKILLS IN NIGERIA
SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT:
To be capable of developing and testing the software and hardware, you need to know your users’ needs and build an application that hits their pain points. You need to work with different web and mobile app coding languages for gaining the attention of your audience, you can also see why you should learn some benefits of having acquired language programs here like why-you-should-learn-java-in-nigeria other hardware and software design and development programming languages of which are namely:
- CISC and RISC architecture
- Embedded Processor Hardware Design
- Memory Management
- PCB Layout
To explain this more in a simpler term, the Software and Hardware development,(programming languages) means designing, implementing, and testing the computer software/hardware applications. It is the most profitable computer skill, with a different job opening, including Software Architect, Software Analyst, Software programmer, Hardware configuration and so on.
i once applied when i was in junior high as an intern for a firm as an (IT) assistant it was quite an experience so i know for a fact that, if you are familiar with the basic anatomy of computers and machines and know the tricks to perform tasks to streamline the working process, enter the (IT) support arena. The prime (IT) troubleshooting skills one needs to invest in are:
- Installation and configuration
- Issue tracking system (ITS)
- System administration
- Tech support
- Backup management
- End User support
- Client-Server management
Working on computer systems is one thing and having a niche of looking into the associated issues and resolving them in real-time is another. There are various employees and graduates who work with computer systems in their daily lives, but get confused when it comes to dealing with frozen programs and performing routine maintenance jobs.
GRAPHIC DESIGN AND WORD PROCESSING
We all know how graphic design and word processing are in hot demand for job requirement in Nigeria today. A solid grasp of this art of skill and to present the gained information in the much readable form is another market need entirely. When considering this computer skill category to get ahead in your career, you need to improve your skills at:
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Publisher
- Operating Digital Cameras
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Illustrator
SPREADSHEETS AND DATABASES
You need to know that a skill in spreadsheet and database is like the treasure in a cave waiting to be discovered. The magnitude of data companies are handling these days, Spreadsheet and Database management skill tops the list. For it is considered the most wanted job skill in the market, with a salary of around NGN 19,126,440/year for an entry-level position. However, the spreadsheet skill does not confine to auditing data from cells in a company alone.
To get hired based on this computer skill, you need to become a spreadsheet guru. From storing data to organizing them, applying complex mathematics formulas, and creating complex macros, you need to be an expert at all areas. What i am saying exactly is that you need to have an expertise at working with:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Data Analytics
- Adobe Campaign
- XML Database management system
- Filemaker Pro
- RDBMS (Relational Database Management System)
SOCIAL MEDIA, EMAIL AND WRITING
Some of the skills related to social media, email and writing that will have a leg up in the hiring process in Nigeria and Africa are:
- Digital Media
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Campaign Management Software
- Content Management System (CMS)
- Google Analytics
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Email Marketing
- Web Page Design
All though a lot of people are socially active, it is mandatory to understand that not everyone knows how to use the social media tools on the professional front. In such a scenario, having an expertise at writing engaging yet professional emails, writing books, and managing social media activities is a ticket to entry in any reputed organizations.
Most Enterprises have their own enterprise solutions like Gartner (IT) for managing their data and operations. Becoming a master at using the enterprise solutions mentioned in their ‘Requirements’ area can also lessen the barrier to get a job. Enterprise systems are designed to integrate multiple facets of a company’s business through the interchange of information from various business process areas and related databases.
Some examples of enterprise system businesses processes supported by ERP software include accounts payable, general ledger, cash management and forecasting, personnel administration, payroll, time management, inventory management, product pricing, billing.
These in-demand computer skills are the most popular in the market, you have the privilege to choose which skill you want to work on in order to propel your career to another level.
RESOURCES FOR BOOSTING YOUR COMPUTER SKILL IN NIGERIA
Once you are done with selecting which in-demand skill you desire, you need to look forward to the following resources for boosting your computer-skills and getting a good job in a reputable organization.
Depending on the computer skill you choose, here are some online courses you can turn to for elevating your career opportunities ahead:
BECOME A SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE CREATOR
- Learn Hardware/Software courses by coursera: This course will give you a glimpse of all the hardware devices, equipment, and programming languages to build wonders, From Big Data to IoT, Sensor Circuit Design, Embedded Software and Hardware Architecture, and Motor Control Circuit.
- Web Development Certifications online by Alison: Become the software developer market demands with Alison’s Java, C#, Python, R, PHP, or MySQL database course. From backend to front end development and software testing.The course helps you to learn how to design, develop and test software and working in a team while contributing to the team success.
- Software Development and Moocs courses by class central: The Class Central online course will make you a master of software development. Here, you will learn the basic concepts of development like Agile, Design Patterns, and Version Control with Git, along with gaining experience of working with the top programming languages.
INCREASE YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO (IT) TROUBLESHOOTING
- Try (IT)Troubleshooting Skill Training by Udemy: (IT) Troubleshooting Skill Training will upgrade your logical concepts over technical components to find and repair faults.It will provide you with a methodological approach to learn the basics of troubleshooting, practice them via exercises and drills, and enhance your IT troubleshooting intelligence.
- (IT) Help Course with LYNDA: The Lynda’s (IT) troubleshooting online course will train you how to respond to the issues related to Windows 10, Office 365, JIRA software, and more, from a local as well as a remote location.
IMPROVE YOUR CREATIVITY
- Introduction to graphic design with Udemy: From the history of communication to the design principles, the course will help the students to learn everything specifically and implement in the real world. It is a top-rated program for the new learners and designers to explore the Graphic Design world.
- Canva Design School: You must have heard about canva one way or another. From a beginner to advanced level, this course will provide you with an elaborated and comprehensive knowledge of graphic design. In the form of 4 modules, this course will help the interested graphic designers to try out their skills at Graphics, ranging from fonts to colors, backgrounds, images, shapes, and layouts.
- Microsoft office, word, excel and access: The course will make you productive in Word, Excel, and Access through video lectures, articles, and various other supplemental resources. Besides, it will offer you exclusive tips and tricks to enhance your skills at using Microsoft office.
BECOME A SPREADSHEET AND DATABASE GURU
- Learn SQL & Data base Design: Build a successful career in the data analytics world with this online course. Revolving around the two top databases, MS SQL and PostgreSQL, this course will give you a comprehensive knowledge of the working of the databases and understanding of all the related elements, including how to create, update, organize, and safeguard the data.
- Excel online Basic & Advanced: This is another impressive course to unlock the power of Excel. Designed for people from all walks of life and familiarity with Excel tools. This course helps you gain in-depth knowledge from the experts about this data-analyzing tool and make the magic in spreadsheet creation and management process. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate or expert at working with spreadsheets, this online course has something new for everyone to become excel efficient users. Divided into 48 interesting lessons, the course empowers you to learn the technique of using mathematical, statistical, logical and text functions, sorting and filtering the data, creating Pivot Tables and building macros.
EXPLORE THE WORLD OF SOCIAL MEDIA
- Social Media Course by Hub spot: From understanding how to build relationships on different social media platforms to creating a perfect strategy to engage them, leveraging the benefits of social advertising, and analyzing your social media ROI, this course will bring out the best out of you. Introduced by the top experienced inbound professors from Hub spot, here you will get a comprehensive knowledge of Social media marketing.
- Professional emails in English by coursera: This online course will be the right weapon to look into the differences and similarities between different email styles, improve your English writing skills, write effective subject lines, maintain the formality tone in emails, and more to make a powerful impact on the receivers with your email.
All this are some of the resources to give you assistance and get your career ahead in Nigeria.
Seeing the current market scenario, it is evident that having computer skills is a boom for a better career ahead. So, rather than struggling with thousands of other things and trying to crack interviews, focus on the computer skills mentioned in this article. Utilize the resources and have a prosperous future ahead.
You can also visit nigeriantech.com.ng for an information on improving your productivity in your work place.