Manual Changover Switch Review & Prices in Nigeria
A changeover switch is designed to transfer a house (or business) electricity from the commercial power grid to a local generator when an outage occurs. … But with a manual changeover switch, the homeowner must flip a switch to turn the power draw from the commercial grid to the generator. It simplifies backup power by connecting a generator directly to your electrical circuits. No cords running through the house. No open windows. No hassle.
Other benefits of installing a manual changeover switch include:
- Improved Safety
- Ability to power hardwired appliances like the A/C
- Connectivity to entire service panel
Now being able to conveniently switch between power sources is very key. Manual changeover switches allow you to manually alternate between alternative power sources at your own convenience.
In this article, we look at the various prices of manual change over switches in Nigeria today and certain things to consider before purchase.
Prices of Manual Changeover Switches in Nigeria
There are various types and brands of the manual changeover switches, here are the popular brands and how much they are being sold for in the market space
Havells Manual Changeover Switches & Prices
- Havells 30 Amps Changeover Switch — (NGN) 7,000 naira — (NGN) 9,000 naira
- Havells 32 Amps Changeover Switch — (NGN) 7,900 naira — (NGN) 10,000 naira
- Havells 63 Amps Changeover Switch — (NGN) 18,000 naira — (NGN) 22,000 naira
- Havells 100 Amps Changeover Switch — (NGN) 30,000 naira — (NGN) 40,000 naira
- Havells 200 Amps Changeover Switch — (NGN) 70,000 naira — (NGN) 80,700 naira
Stanley Changeover Switches & Prices
- Stanley 63 Amps Changeover switch —(NGN) 38,000 naira — (NGN)42,000 naira
- Stanley 100 Amps Changeover Switch— (NGN) 62,000 naira —(NGN) 70,000 naira
- Stanley 400 Amps Changeover Switch — (NGN) 180,000 naira — (NGN) 218,000 naira
Sukam Changeover Switches & Prices
- Sukam 63 Amp Changeover Switch — (NGN) 35,000 naira — (NGN) 40,000 naira
- Sukam 100 Amp Changeover Switch — (NGN) 60,000 naira — (NGN) 69,000 naira
How does a Manual Changeover Switch work?
A manual changeover switch connects a generator to your home’s main circuits and switches them to run on backup power during an outage. This means any appliance on that circuit will be powered. Many manual transfer switches are NEMA rated for indoor or outdoor installation.
Your generator’s power output will determine the number of circuits you can connect. Most 5,000 watt generators can restore power to six circuits. Larger generators can power 10 circuits.
How to Connect a Manual Changeover Switch
No matter what type of generator or switch you have, we highly recommend consulting the owner’s manuals of both for detailed instructions and safety guidelines before using.
Generally speaking, here are the steps to connect a manual transfer switch and switch to generator power during a blackout:
- Turn off all the circuits in the transfer switch.
- Connect the generator and transfer switch using a gen cord.
- Start the generator and let it warm up outside.
- Flip the main breakers in the transfer switch from “Line” to “Generator” power.
- One at a time, turn on the circuits you want to power, ensuring the generator doesn’t get overloaded.
Once power is restored…
- Turn off the main breakers in the transfer switch back to “Line” power.
- Turn off the generator
- Disconnect any cords
Things to Consider before Purchasing a Manual Changeover Switch
- Power output Rate