How to avoid electrostatic shocks In Nigeria

This is a common situation and many people are surprised and sometimes hurt by any unexpected snaps and sparks around the home or office. Here are the major causes of it and tips for reducing the situation.

shock is not a true electrical shock-like touching a live wire, but it is the natural balancing of negative (electrons) and positive (protons) charges between two materials.
How to avoid electrostatic shocks in Nigeria Nigeriantech.com.ng

When two materials are in contact, some of the charges redistribute by moving from one full material to the other. It can create an excess positive charge on one item, and a negative charge on the other.

When the two materials are separated, each one takes the charge of it. If your body contains that excess charge, then you get near an object with the opposite charge, it can cause a spark to jump to or from your body.

Dry skin and synthetic clothing are some major causes of static buildup. Other materials when rubbing against each other, like your shoes on a synthetic carpet, can create changes in you through electrostatic induction.

Another example is when you slide out of your car, the rubbing of seats with your clothes can create a charge. If you reduce or eliminate the sources of static build-up, you can get relief from shocks.

How do I stop getting shocked from static?

If you carry a metal object like a coin, key or paper clip around with you, and touch it to something metal in your house, any electrons stuck to your body will flow through the metal and away, preventing the “jumping” effect that causes a shock.

Why do I keep getting shocked by everything I touch?

Static shocks are more common when it’s cold and dry. This dry, cold air holds less water vapour than warm summer air. So, when you touch something like a metal doorknob or car door, those extra electrons will rapidly leave your body and give you the shock.

How do you stop static current in the body?

How do you discharge yourself?

Touch a metal object using another metal object to release static discharge. This allows sparks from the discharge to affect the metal object, and not your skin. For example, touch a doorknob using a key instead of your hand at first to lower the risk for electric shock.

What causes too much electricity in the body?

Some objects such as wool, glass, human skin and hair are more likely to accumulate electric charges and have static electricity. Shuffling your feet across carpet, particularly in socks, is another way your body gains more electrons; they are released when you touch something such as a doorknob or another person.

Why do we feel the current when we touch someone?

So, when a person or any object has extra electrons, it creates a negative charge. These electrons thus get attracted to positive electrons (as opposite attracts) of another object or person and vice versa. The shock that we feel sometimes is the result of the quick movement of these electrons.

Do some people have electricity in their bodies?

Electricity is everywhere, even in the human body. The elements in our bodies, like sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium, have a specific electrical charge. Almost all of our cells can use these charged elements, called ions, to generate electricity.

Why is my body so static?

Static shocks are more common when it’s cold and dry. This dry, cold air holds less water vapour than warm summer air. So, when you touch something like a metal doorknob or car door, those extra electrons will rapidly leave your body and give you the shock.

How do you anti static yourself?

How do I get rid of static electricity in my home?

How to Get Rid of Static Electricity in Your Home

Install a Humidifier

The most effective way to minimize static electricity in the home is to install a humidifier.

Treat Your Rugs and Carpeting

A static charge in your rugs and carpeting can cause a shock when you walk across them.
Use Products on Clothing.

Do I really need anti static strap?

No, even for beginners it is not needed at all, all you have to do is touch something metal before you start building/taking apart a system. If you want to be extra cautious, don’t build on carpet.

Why do I get static shocks more than others?

A bigger body, bigger feet, and thinner shoe soles, means more charge has to be stored to produce the same voltage. This gives a higher energy electrostatic discharge. Thirdly, you may be generating more charge than others. This may be due to the material of your shoe soles, or the way that you walk.

Why do I keep getting little electric shocks?

When you touch a doorknob (or something else made of metal), which has a positive charge with few electrons, the extra electrons want to jump from you to the knob. That tiny shock you feel is a result of the quick movement of these electrons.

Can static electricity affect the heart?

During the daily life, if we touch a place with tones of static electricity, it can also pump our heart in a way, and it is much different than the electricity that safe people, because in our normal life, our heart pump in a common speed, when it is pump by the static electricity, it will shocked our heart and may

What should I wear to avoid electric shock?

Wear protective gear.
Rubber soled shoes and non-conductive gloves provide a barrier. Putting a rubber mat on the floor is another effective precaution. Rubber does not conduct electricity and will help you avoid getting shocked.

Can rubber gloves prevent electric shock?

Selected properly, insulating rubber gloves will do the job of protecting the worker against electrical shock. Do not forget about leather protectors, for they are an essential part of wearing and using the insulating rubber gloves correctly.

Will rubber shoes prevent electric shock?

Rubber-soled shoes do indeed provide some electrical insulation to help protect someone from conducting shock current through their feet. However, most common shoe designs are not intended to be electrically “safe,” their soles being too thin and not of the right substance.

Can you touch the black wire without getting shocked?

Absolutely, as long as you are not in any way grounded or connected to white common. Be VERY careful about the “not in any way grounded” part of that. The chance of your ungrounded status changing while touching that wire could be very dangerous to you.

How to Prevent Static Shock in Nigeria

  • Increase indoor humidity. Static electricity is more active when the air and materials are dry, especially in the winter as heating the house dries the air.
  • Moisturize dry skin.
  • Choose natural over synthetic fabrics.
  • Try different types of shoes.
  • Discharge excess static throughout the day.

Chinedu Okeke

Chinedu is the founder of Nigerian Tech. He is a tech enthusiast who has the passion for emerging trends in the tech industry. He is also a professional web content developer.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *